Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Cultivating Giftedness in Preschoolers

Today, my child's teacher told me he was smart. Of course, I knew he was smart. My husband knows he is smart. But how many parents don't think their child is smart??? And how many think their child is gifted?

This year, I returned to teaching in a job that works with gifted and talented students. (Before I taught students with disabilities.) I have learned a lot about the traits of gifted children. I am not diagnosing my child, but many parents and teachers overlook giftedness in their children because they do not want their child to be different or placed in a separate program. Many parents feel they don't know what to do IF their child is gifted. What if the child is smarter than the parent?

My son has a great memory. That may make him smart. But only if he can apply what he has memorized. And only if I can work with his strengths and weaknesses and develop both.

There are some markers to use to gauge if your child is gifted. Any parent would like to encourage the natural talents of their children. Beware of not giving your child too much praise or attention. This may do one of two things: inflate his ego or make him embarrassed.

If you think your preschooler is gifted, use these ideas to cultivate the giftedness. Allow your child to explore and develop at his own pace. Do not try to force your child to read early, memorize facts, or drill flashcards. Preschoolers are still preschoolers and need to develop preschool skills. They may memorize and recite facts to you, but are they learning and understanding. They may read at an early age, but only encourage it if they are interested. If they do not learn it now, they are still going to learn it!

Enjoy your child, no matter what strengths and weaknesses they have. Encourage the love of arts, reading, and learning- not the dislike or worksheets, pencils, and coloring in the lines!

Click here to support breast cancer research by purchasing an original Breast Cancer No Excuses T-Shirt

0 comments: