Saturday, August 11, 2007

Teacher Supply Showers

While many readers may be parents that do not put their children into school, there may also be some readers that have children in school or that are teachers.

Today in my local paper, I read a great article about giving a teacher a supply shower for the beginning of school.

Being a teacher, I know how much out-of-pocket money is spent on a classroom. Schools supply some funds, but the generous spirit of a teacher usually leads him or her to buy things beyond his or her school budget. Also, this time of year is usually a financial strain since most teachers have not been paid since the beginning of the summer and the money tends to run out. Not to mention- the amazing salaries most teachers are paid!

Utilizing the same registries as weddings or baby showers, teachers can register for wanted and needed supplies at local supply stores or discount stores such as Walmart or Target. Then parents and community members can purchase some of these supplies for that classroom. What a great idea!

There are also some online sources for these registries:
Adopt a Classroom
DonorsChoose.org
The Teacher's Wish List
Support Your Teacher

Support Your Teachers too!

2 comments:

Dee Light said...

When I was student teaching the teachers all gave me a teaching shower!!! It was great. I recieved so many cool things to use in my own classrom. As a parent I have given teachers gift cards to teacher supply stores. Teachers do spend soooooo much of their own money on classroom items.

Michele said...

Hi there I have awesome things to do with the teachers and staff 3 x's a yr we call it pampered playtime want to know more call me and you can visit my blog as well at 203-672-0681 www.michelemarchetti.blogspot.com
www.discoverytoyslink.com/michelemarchetti
we have grteat teacher gifts and they love our toys!!!
Michele