Monday, August 27, 2007

The Importance of Talking to Your Preschooler

Having conversations with your preschooler is an important part of the day, especially if they are not with you all day. My preschooler attends preschool now and tells me about his entire day. I laugh because he starts talking at 4:00 pm until he falls asleep. Sometimes I have to ask him questions so he is more specific than who broke what toy and who got in trouble. But I love hearing about his day. I wish my two year old would be so forth coming.

Take the time to talk to your child. Sit down and really talk. Talk at dinner. Make sure to eat dinner together. It is a good social skill to carry on conversation and it gives the child's day validity. It also builds memory skills to review events that have past. And your child will remember the day better if he reviews it. Don't miss out!

3 comments:

TheNanny612 said...

Thank you for such a great post!!

I have to agree with you. Talking with your Preschooler is so important. Many of the times when you ask the question, "So, what did you do today?" The Preschooler will say, "nothing." But, with a little direction with your questions you might have their answer by bedtime. ;-)

Keep up the great work!!

Shana Albert, Owner
ABC Home Preschool and Preschool
Education & Everything Preschool

Belisama said...

It's so true. Really, people should start talking to their kids from day one. Not only does it develop relationships, but it also increases language skills. Most words a child knows by age five have come from figuring out meaning based on context, and context for a non-reader can come only from actually hearing the words. That's why I talk to my preschool students using almost the same level of language that I use with adults.

Chris
http://craftyteacher.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I have always talked like an adult to my children too and you can hear it in my 4 year old's vocabulary. But of those tips are great!