Monday, July 23, 2007

Patterning and Math Skills Using Tiles

Today, I was working with a young girl I see twice a week. I took colored tiles with me and we had lots of fun!

We first did patterning skills. I did a pattern, she then duplicated it. I did a pattern, she continued it. Then she made a pattern on her own.

After that, we did pictures. I did a picture with the tiles, she copied it. Then she made a picture, and I tried to duplicate it, purposely making a mistake so she could correct me.

The next thing we did was adding and subtracting. I had her count out 5 tiles, then add 3 more. She then told me how many there were all together. I did the same thing with subtracting. She counted tiles, she gave some to me, then she told me how many were left over.

Overall, we did 20 minutes of activities and she never once complained. She thought it was all fun and games!

The true purpose of patterning and copying patterns is that it actually correlates with skills used for reading and logical thinking. For reading, they have to be able to distinguish word patterns to remember sight words and words that they do not sound out. For logical thinking, they have to be able to think ahead and follow the idea and concept presented.

Get some tiles and have fun without worksheets. For more preschool patterning ideas, visit my Preschool Activities Site.

0 comments: