Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Recycling With Kids

We set as our New Year's goal is start recycling plastic, paper, and aluminum in our household. We knew we were throwing away a lot of paper, since we get the newspaper everyday, but we cannot believe how much plastic we use. No wonder oil prices are so high.

Not only do we take bottled water to work every day, the kids each yogurt, drink milk, drink juice, and eat strawberries, all housed in plastic. Just yesterday morning, I recycled the yogurt cup and lid, the vitamins container, a empty bottle of juice, and the strawberries container. I can also recycle my plastic egg container, the cans from the soda my husband and I take to work, and almost every plastic container that food comes in, not to mention the shampoo bottles and liquid soap containers.

It is simply amazing what we were throwing away.

And now my son is in on it too. He gets to take the stuff out to the bins. We are also collecting the aluminum for him to turn in for cash. It takes a lot of cans to get $1, but $1 is a lot for a four year old. And it is so much fun squishing the cans.

And when you are recycling, don't forget to recycle the grocery bags- paper or plastic, or just buy reusable. I keep forgetting to take mine to the store, but every time I remember, it is one less piece of plastic that is used.

Shop Small Banner



0 comments: