Saturday, September 22, 2007

Does TV Make A Preschool Smarter?

I have read a lot of information on TV and preschoolers. I even did a 5000 word report on that topic for a graduate class. But I do not believe all of the research. I truly believe my children know more because I have let them watch quality TV shows.

My two year old daughter copies the patterns on Noggin's in between shows. Since Noggin does not have commercials, the entire day is filled with learning activities. She can also sing songs, yes they are the songs from TV shoes, but she can hardly speak in words we understand but she can sing! She also sings Jesus Loves Me and the Lullaby song too- it is not all TV!.

My son knows vocabulary about places and things he would not get from our small town. He also draws the pictures he sees on Noggins art short films.

I cannot say that lots of TV is good, but choosing good programs does seem to help expose a child to more items and activities that would not be available to the average child.

Just make sure it is not the only thing your child does all day!

0 comments: